The Benefits of Threading
Move over tweezers! In recent years, a hair removal technique called threading has become popular in Archfit. Keep reading to learn more about threading so you can decide if it’s right for you.
What is threading?
Threading is a type of hair removal that originated in India, Iran, and central Asia. Threading practitioners use a twisted cotton thread to remove several hairs at a time. It is mostly used for hair removal on the face, including eyebrows, upper lip, chin, and cheeks. Though threading works on larger areas, this isn’t a common hair removal treatment for arms, legs and the bikini line because it takes too much time. However, you can use threading to tidy up a small area of the bikini line.
Threading requires a lot more skill than tweezing or waxing so it’s not a home treatment. Typically, threading happens in a spa or salon with a certified esthetician, trained in this technique.
When not to try threading
Threading is a low-risk beauty treatment but it’s not suitable in some situations. If you have acne, it’s best not to thread that area because it could cause further damage to your skin. There is also some risk of folliculitis—inflammation of hair follicles—but no more than with other types of hair removal such as shaving, waxing, and tweezing.
Because there are few risks, we encourage you to try threading—if it appeals to you. As you’ll see next, there are several modern-day benefits to this ancient beauty secret.
The benefits of threading are:
- Great results – Eyebrow threading gives more precise results than waxing.
- Quick appointments – Fast, with the average eyebrow treatment taking 15 minutes or less.
- No ingrown hairs – Not only is it gentler than waxing, doesn’t cause ingrown hairs.
- Easy on sensitive skin – An all-natural procedure that uses no chemicals.
- Works for everyone – Unlike some hair removal treatments, threading works for people with all skin types and hair colours.
- Built-in spa time – Unless you’re a threading professional yourself, you’ll need to take a quick spa getaway for this treatment and that comes with built-in relaxation.
Skin care after threading
While there are few risks, it can lightly irritate your skin so it’s important to treat your skin with care after your threading experience. If you’re uncomfortable, apply a cold compress to the affected area to reduce any redness and follow with moisturizer. If you have sensitive skin, avoid exfoliation for a couple of days after your treatment.
We’re here to help you look and feel your best. If you’d like to relax while taking care of your hair removal needs, give us a call to book a threading session and a Swedish massage.